Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Click here to go to the next section: Contact


1) Do I need an application for the MA program?

Not at this time. There are pre-requisite classes that must be taken before enrolling and then co-requisite classes that must be taken together, and in sequence.


2) What programs do you have for medical assisting? 

There is one track available, which is a combination of clinical and administrative skills. Students who successfully complete the program will receive a certificate in Clinical & Administrative Medical Assisting, with the option of obtaining an Associate of Science (AS) degree.


3) What is the cost of the program?

See this link 


4) Who should I contact to meet and discuss my interest in the MA program?

The Health Sciences department highly recommends that you first start with a Health Sciences Counseling appointment. This appointment will help you figure out if becoming an MA is really in line with your overall career and educational goals, and it will also help you set up an educational plan for entry to the MA program. Please go to this link to set up your counseling appointment with a Health Sciences counselor:

After you see a health sciences counselor, you may contact the Health Sciences main office to speak to a student assistant about other general questions at (707) 527-4272.

You may also contact the Program Coordinator, Kat Slusser at (707) 524-1720 or (email preferred). 


5) How long is the program?

The program is currently one year (three semesters) not including pre-requisite classes. 


6) Do I need to have my high school diploma / GED to be enrolled in the program?

No, it is not a requirement to have your high school diploma / GED / Equivalency for entry to the program; however, it is highly recommended.


7) The externship requirements say that I must have clean record, does a misdemeanor make me ineligible for the program? 

This depends on whether or not it shows up on the background check. Some misdemeanors show up, others don't. If nothing shows up on the background check, the student is considered clear, and is admitted. 


8) What will I be learning in the MA program?

You will learn clinical and administrative theory and skills that will prepare you to sit for the CCBMA state certification exam, and for an entry level MA job. 


9) How does the externship work?

Entry into the externship requires copies of immunization records, a BLS/CPR card, a completely clean background check, a completely clean drug screen, and completion of all applicable pre-requisites. Once these are completed, students will be given an add code, according to Priority Registration, to register for the classes. See this link for more information:


10) Do required courses need to be taken concurrently with other courses each semester? 

Yes, see this page for the required course sequence.


Click here to go to the next section: Contact